Thursday, January 5, 2023

Situational Awareness

 



"Awareness is the greatest agent for change!" 

I love the saying, NOTHING CHANGES IF NOTHING CHANGES! 

Its simplicity is lost in the art that we often fall somewhere in the grey area of that mantra! 

We expect great change, yet we often don't create a successful, consistent environment around us that supports change. 

We read a book, watch a Ted Talk, race a 5K, find a mentor or just wake up! 

All of these things are great in themselves and are often agents of change that I exhibit in my daily processes. 

Where most fall short however is the transition from completion to execution. 

We read a book and expect change to happen, but the book won't do it for you! 

We watch a motivational video and get all fired up, yet our poor diet lacks the energy needed for the next step. 

We race a 5K and feel like we conquered the world, but the next day fail to show up again because we feel we have arrived already. 

We have a great mentor but expect them to create our success! 

Finally, our eyes pop open in the morning and we feel like life should just work for us! 

Don't worry as I have fallen into this trap more than once and probably will again in the future. 

What I try and bring to my conscious mind though is...SITUATIONAL AWARENESS! 

Situational Awareness is the perceptions of your environment and events with respect to time and space, the comprehension of their meaning, and the projection of their future status. 

For me situational awareness is BEING WHERE MY FEET ARE and being the biggest TIME HOARDER of all time! 

The second I take my existence for granted is the exact time when I need to raise my awareness level. 

Stop waiting for the right moment!

Stop waiting for the weather to be perfect! 

Stop waiting for next week to create memories! 

Stop waiting...

Instead start implementing! 

The only competitor in life that is undefeated is...TIME! 

Did you know that roughly 50 million people in this world (probably more but we foolishly just call it old age) have been diagnosed with Alzheimer's! 

Alzheimer's and other neurodegenerative diseases don't care how fast you can run a mile, how much weight you can lift, how much money you make, your shoe collection, your profession or whether you eat keto/carnivore/vegan! 

Sure, exercise and diet are incredible at setting the stage for success but in the end, we truly can't stop one of these terrible diseases from happening! 

So, this is where your situational awareness comes in strong...

My awareness while running for hours on end is where am I right now? 

Not yesterday and certainly not tomorrow but how am i being present as a dad, doctor, husband, brother, uncle, son, friend and neighbor. 

I am not perfect, but my situational awareness reminds me to keep going and create a difference in this crazy world by BEING WHERE MY FEET ARE and NOT EXPECTING CHANGE WITHOUT BEING PRESENT TO CHANGE IN THE FIRST PLACE!

Make It Count! 




No comments:

Post a Comment