Wednesday, February 15, 2023

Are you a fixer?

 

"If it can't be fixed with duct tape, then you're not using enough duct tape!"


Not sure if duct tape has the magical powers that it once had when I was a kid! There seems to be a whole lot more binding products on the market theses days. Heck I use Gorilla Glue on just about anything that needs a little more strength to make it to the next day!

Growing up my step-dad was legitimately the king of the duct tape fix!

Broken swing...DUCT TAPE!

Leaky pipe...DUCT TAPE!

Boy scout pine wood derby car wheel falls off...DUCT TAPE!

Basketball net rips off the rim...DUCT TAPE!

Milk jug cap disappears...DUCT TAPE!

License plate falling off car...DUCT TAPE!

My little sister talks to much...DUCT TAPE!...ha ha...just kidding on that one however I am sure it crossed my mind as a kid!

The main concept of the message was his first go to towards fixing anything in life was to just put DUCT TAPE on it and leave it alone. 

You see my step-dad could very well have figured out how to properly fix anything as he is a brilliant man but I think he chose to use his energy towards endeavor's that really, truly mattered! (more on that in a minute..)

How do you fix things in your life? 

Do you invest your time into avenues that truly make a difference or do you just throw a Band-Aid on the obstacle and move on? 

I fortunately or unfortunately chose to be a chiropractor in life! It unfortunately is a profession filled with Band-Aid applicators. Doctors that never really take an extra second to figure out what the root cause is and instead just try to manipulate everything away. Guess what...that approach is similar to just applying duct tape to a broken pipe. There may be relief immediately but eventually everything will fall apart!

You see I have lived a life always striving to never be the DUCT TAPE applier. My life has revolved around always putting my wife and kids first and never putting a band-aid on my time with them! 

It took me awhile and lots of maturity to realize how incredible my step-father was to me growing up and still is! 

My birth father, who I loved more than anything while he was alive, was a duct tapper of life! 

Without much detail his view on life was just cover it up with his version of duct tape...it may have been alcohol, not showing up to important events or being personally absent but his inability to address problems created more problems in life.

We patch the broken pipe with duct tape and eventually time, water pressure and bad luck will have that pipe leaking again and creating more problems then if we just fixed everything initially. 

You see, here is what took me a long time to figure out! 

My step-dad never, once put a piece of duct-tape on his time with my sisters, my mom and I. He applied duct tape to life's little problems so that he could always be available to us no matter the obstacle. 

He never said...

Maybe later to shooting hoops...

Maybe later to going for a run...

Maybe later to helping with Calculus...

Maybe later to helping us pay for college...

EVERY situation, EVERY obstacle, EVERY success, EVERY failure, EVERY achievement and EVERY memory looking back on was supported 100% of the time.

For that I am grateful and blessed to know and have a teacher in my life that showed me how to not rely on duct-tape for things that matter! 

Always Crush Life! 

Make It Count!

Take this moment to go fix something that you have been waiting to fix and haven't yet...

You never know when it will be too late.

Also such deep gratitude to those that have donated to my Alzheimers cause...you have no idea how much it means to me and if interested in why I am doing this please click on the link above! 

No comments:

Post a Comment