Tuesday, October 7, 2014

All In

Every week I think I am going to run out of ideas or thoughts to share with everyone but then life, family and just being in the right place at the right time presents me with inspiration to share what I think it means to Make It Count!!!

Before I get into the details let me just say that if you live anywhere near Howard County Maryland that I 110% recommend the Howard County Junior Striders XC program. I think its a top notch group of coaches and people that number care about the kids having fun and using running as the outlet. I am biased to the sport of cross country as I think it breeds some amazing individuals. Cross country running instills confidence, a sense of team and individual accomplishments, an intelligent numbers/strategy minded kid and most of all the ability to push yourself farther than you ever thought.

This past weekend was special because it was the first time this year that both of my girls had the opportunity to race in the same meet (the oldest has commitments to soccer). I will not lie but I was nervous all weekend as my girls mean the world to me and I want nothing but success for them. I know there will be times of failure and I will be the first one there to teach them how failure can be success in disguise.

Brynn was up first and you could right away tell she was excited to show her big sister how it was done. She has placed third overall in every meet this year so when she came across in 4th place we thought she just didn't have her best day until we saw the times and realized she took 35 SECONDS off her personal best. Who does that? I told her it was the best race of the year for her and even though she got 4th she gave it her all. The spotlight now turned on Avery for her first XC race ever and in true Avery fashion she got out of the gate fast and within 200 yards had about a 20 yard lead which she carried all the way until the finally 50 meters when second place surged and caught her. I was completely blown away at her ability and willingness to go for it. Her racing intelligence will come as she progresses in time and lets not forget she is only 8.

Watching the two of them race led me to my topic today. Both of them went ALL IN on the race and decided to hold nothing back. When they finished neither one of them was upset or discouraged but knew they gave it all they had and there best on this particular day and that is all that matters. Why not approach life like this also? Why don't you wake up each morning and go ALL IN with the day and future goals? What is holding you back? I know as I have progressed through life I have put forth everything I have and have gone ALL IN. I don't want to reach a stage 1 month, 1 year, 20 years and so forth where I look back and said man I wish I would have done that. We are blessed with an unknown amount of time in this world so grasp the time you have and go forward with the mindset of ALL IN. My wife and I probably cram more into a single week but everything we do has the end goal of building us stronger as individuals and a family.

There is one other person that is the epitome of what it means to go ALL IN. My wife's grandmother who could very well be the most amazing individual I have ever had the luxury of spending time with. She turned 96 years young this summer and over the past 12 years I would like to say I have developed a bond with her in which she would consider me one of her own. At 96 she may be a little slow physically but her mind has the ability to entertain you 24/7 and if you don't watch out she will even joke on you. The reason I know she has gone ALL IN during her life time is from her stories and her abilities to always make me want to be a better man. She lived a life as a Broadway actress and I truly believe that she looks at life in the same fashion...a life of always being in character and spreading the good word of don't sweat the little things but instead take whats good in the world and cherish it. At my wedding reception 11 years ago the first dance with my wife was special but I will say (sorry Britt) that the time dancing with GiGi made me sweat, laugh and know that we are in charge of how we approach life. I know this won't make much sense but every single time I have seen her since then the first things out of my mouth are "Da Da Da Dee Dee Da....Hello Beautiful!!!" She unfortunately is in not the best of health as I type this so please whomever reads this please send your prayers. My hope is she can read this and know that she has touched my life deeply in a way that I will forever make sure I am taking care of my family and not living a day without going ALL IN.





So take away from this whatever you choose but know you are the only person capable of your actions. Take the higher road please and always Make It Count!!!!

If you can please also read my project for the next year and give what you can.

http://support.themmrf.org/site/TR/EnduranceEvents/EnduranceEvents?px=1781288&pg=personal&fr_id=1730

No comments:

Post a Comment