Wednesday, October 22, 2014

Talent


I was at a funeral this past weekend of one of the most amazing people ever and I must say that while it was sad to see her go it was also inspiring to hear the stories of how great a person she was. Stories of how she spread constant joy to everyone she came in contact with. How there was nothing that could bring her down and how she had the innate ability to always look at the good in something. I am sure that everyone in attendance walked away wanting to do better in life. I know I walked away wanting to take my abilities to the next level and leave a blueprint where people would talk the same about me when it is my time.

The other thing that caught my attention was during the service my wife's uncle was talking about Talent. How we are all put on this earth with varying talents and abilities to do great. How as we embark on the journey of life we should emphasize those talents and share them with everyone who's path we cross.

Now I have come across plenty of people/patients in my life that either their talent has never truly been discovered or their confidence is not strong enough to use their talents. Often we go through life with blinders on or a deep sense of your not good enough for something. Well I am here to tell you that is a crap way of thinking. We are all amazing individuals at the core and this is something that needs to be built upon. I understand that confidence is a huge varying factor that comes into play. I also understand that the only way to build confidence is to practice your talent. Make it a game to every single day work and work and work and when you feel tired work a little more upon making your talent an ingrained part of who you are.

I have often in my 38 years now (thanks everyone for the wishes yesterday) thought about what are my talents and what am I really good at. Well I know without a doubt that there is three things that are the fabric of who I am. The first one (and I probably owe this to growing up with mostly females) is my ability to listen. To truly listen means not think of a response or interject before the person is done talking but to truly open up and take in every word that the person is saying. Next I will have to say is my ability to be calm when times get tough. Think about it...lets say your in a stressful situation and what typically gets you through those times...running around frantic and surrounded by frantic people or being able to breath and take in the moment along with people who are thinking of the next step to solve the problem. I know my patients appreciate my ability to listen and be calm while always thinking of the positive.

The last talent I think I excel at and is the talent that I am most proud of is my ability to be a father/husband. No offense to anyone but being a family man is the single most important thing in my life. I wake up in the morning and the first thing I think of is how I can be a better father/husband today. Is there something I did wrong yesterday and I can do better today? My wife knows that my three girls mean the world to me and every second I get to spend with them is the equivalent to winning the lottery. When they have sporting events, plays, etc...I am constantly nervous as I want nothing but the best for them. Now don't get me wrong in saying that I am the perfect spouse or father. It is something that has to be constantly worked upon and evolved. The great thing is that when you are passionate about your talent you are always open to improving upon your craft. Communication within my family upon is crucial to how well we perform. When you make yourself available to your family they 100% know that no matter what you are are always there for them.

So what are your talents? Are you aware of them or are you still on a quest to figure them out? If you already know do you make your talents a part of who you are each day? Focus on how great you are and make sure you are sharing your talents with the world.

One day I want people to sit in a congregation or room and laugh, cry and talk about how great a person I was and how it led them down a path of leading a better life.

Make It Count!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment