Friday, February 6, 2015

Hour Of Power



Recently a patient asked me "Jake how do you fit everything into your schedule and still seem to be pretty calm, collected instead of frantic or exhausted." My quick response was the typical time management is crucial and you have to set aside time for what is important to you...we have all heard the typical response in the past. In reality what really allows me the chance to fit everything in and develop a constant win-win mentality is what I refer to as my HOUR OF POWER. Its what I do the first 60 minutes of my day that sets up my day, week, month and year. Its somewhat of a flowing routine of items or actions that I do every morning that helps me focus and prepare for what lies ahead.

My routine is pretty basic and changes a little during the week depending on whether or not my wife is traveling. My hour of power allows me to focus on the present. Its my way of opening up the day to new possibilities, potential obstacles and prepping my mind/body for success.

I guess the one thing that I have going for me is that I have always been a morning person. No matter the time I get to sleep I have never been one to sleep in. Even in college when we would be out all night I still was up bright and early. It was my mom at a young age told me that life is yours for the taking...if you sleep away life then look how much you are missing out on.

So back to my routine or actions that I take in the morning. Here is a list of things I do almost every morning and has been a huge part of developing the right mindset.

1. Alarm: I typically awake between 4:30 -5:00 daily (even weekends). I also place the alarm clock out of arms reach as to not be tempted with the magical snooze button. Once I am up I am up.

2. Peace of Mind: I love my kids more than they will ever know but in a household of three girls the mornings are the only time in my life when things are quiet. This allows me intense focus with no distractions.

3. Read: Lately I have been on a quest for knowledge. Whether its biographies, business, self-help, motivation, physiology...it really doesn't matter as when you truly open yourself to learning you will be amazed at how thirsty you become for it. I use to maybe only read a book a month but now I am getting about 2 a week.

4. Meditation: This is absolutely new to me. I have read all the research and positive effects but never thought I could apply it to my crazy mind. I always thought you had to be completely clear of all thoughts. I was 100% wrong in that assumption as I have found out. I take about 10-15 minutes each morning to breath, clear the mind, bring thoughts back in, analyze them, think of worst outcomes of the day and how I would react and most important this is a time that I reflected on how grateful I am to have another day.

5. Exercise: When my wife is in town and more on the weekends I LOVE to get out the door at 5AM. This has been my traditional form of meditation over the years as its usually me, my thoughts, nature and a world that is quiet and at peace. Morning exercise also sets the tone for a productive, goal accomplished day.

6. 5 Minute Journal: I have been participating in this ritual for about a month now. It entails 5 minutes of writing in the morning focusing on what your grateful for and what would make the day great and the evenings writing focus is on what made the day grate and what I could have done to improve. I have found this simple exercise absolutely amazing at waking one's self up to your actions of the day. Are you following your own personal philosophy or letting others ideas form your actions.

7. Breakfast: Anyone that knows me knows that I am known for my EPIC breakfast meals. It has always been so important to me to start the day with brain food. Food that helps support my growth both physically from activity but also setting the tone for mental fitness.

8. Goal Setting: The problem with goals is that we always set out at the beginning of the year with these grand goals. I think that this is incredible but the fault comes into what are you doing day to day to support those goals. My morning routine allows me to focus more on the process. Am I planting the seeds daily that are needed for continued growth of those goals or have I unconsciously given up so action is needed to re-invest in myself.

9. Avoiding Panic: Remember the last time you woke up late? You then proceeded to rush around getting ready, skipping breakfast, drove aggressively to work and the rest of your day continued to crumble into pieces. Now contrast this to the opposite...you woke up on time, took time getting ready, mediated, ate breakfast, was able to listen to your favorite podcast on your way to work and not only had a great day but you were productive, team player and a success at work.

10. Maximize Life: This one basically means that you are setting the building blocks in place for success. That you understand the value in investing time into yourself and your actions. That with a somewhat concrete morning routine you are MAKING IT COUNT!!!!

Have a blessed day and enjoy your weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment