Wednesday, March 22, 2023

Adventure Awaits!

 


"Jobs fill your pockets but ADVENTURES fill your soul!" 

When I was a kid I was blessed to no have video games, no cable TV and most definitely no useless, distracting social media! 

My love, my passion and my summers where filled with swimming, catching snakes/turtles and galivanting up and down the Fox River on a canoe almost identical to the one above. 

You see, one of my best friends in the whole world and I would set out on very elaborate adventures. Well maybe they were only elaborate in our minds but all we had in the 80's were our imaginations and how grand we could make that imagination work! 




We would canoe miles down river (maybe this is when my endurance love started!) in search of GIANT carp (what a nasty fish!), snakes, turtles, spiders, bull-frogs, HAVOC (yes we were not perfect kids but those secrets will stay with him and I forever...ha ha!) and of course the freedom of being alive! 

How our parents let two 8-10 year old boys have that much freedom will always be a huge question mark but remember...it was the 80's! 

I remember one very HOT midwest summer day we set out to catch the illustrious GIANT carp that had been evading us for weeks. 

We had a small creek about 3-4 miles up stream called Turtle Creek (we had self named it due to the grand scale of turtles)! 

However about 2 miles in we could see a storm brewing that could possibly take us to the Wizard of Oz. 

We kept trekking along as two young boys would do on a mission to catch THE GIANT! 

The waves, the current and the wind however had different ideas which made this adventure even cooler as now we felt like we were on our way to catch MOBY DICK in the ocean (mind you this was a simple little river)! 

By the time we got to the creek the weather had severely turned for the worse and guess who was standing deep in the weeds waiting for us? 

OUR PARENTS! 

Did we get in trouble? To be honest I can't remember! What is the point of this blog? To be honest I can't even remember that...

Oh wait...

ADVENTURE AWAITS! 

My life seems to always be one adventure after another! 

While most of them revolve around extreme feats...most of them are amazing due to the company we share! 

You see...when my step day came into our life he was a very successful trial attorney! 

However he was blessed (so grateful this trait was passed down to me!) with the knowledge that material items while fun initially...in the end are a complete waste of money! 

That new watch...gets old!

That new car...gets old!

That new bike...gets old! 

That expensive purse...who gives a shit! 

What never, ever, without a doubt gets old....IS ADVENTURE! 

We didn't have any fancy cars growing up...my first car was brand new and I think in total cost 7,000 dollars.

What we did have though...was ADVENTURE! 

We went on amazing journey's, incredible vacations and shared so many laughs around the pure process of using our imagination and pursuing ADVENTURE! 

As long as my memory serves me...I will always remember those ADVENTURES! Whether it was with my best bud or with my family...those are the memories that are priceless! 

Stop working so hard to buy useless items as all those do is build clutter in your closet....instead find a job that you love or maybe just enjoy so that you have the time to clutter your mind with memories! 

Make It Count! 




No comments:

Post a Comment